In our recent status update, we called out the use of a single large data structure for all accessible UI elements as a known potential weakness in the design. After that post, feedback from potential users of AccessKit made it clear that this design flaw was a pressing problem that blocked them from using AccessKit. One of these discussions also led us to a particularly attractive technique for solving the problem. So we decided to go ahead and do this optimization work, to unblock further adoption of AccessKit and get the inevitable incompatible API changes out of the way sooner rather than later. This post summarizes the results of this optimization, explains how we did it, and looks ahead to further potential optimizations.
View all tags